Free Cell Phones Make money giving away free cell phones!

non-javascript player

Google

Free Cell Phones
Wild Poll
North. Korea threatened US with Nuclear War, what should we do?

ignore them
apologize
beg them not to nuke us
let some other country deal with them
go see a movie
threaten them with nuclear war
drop a nuke on them
drop a lot of nukes on them

view results






Passionate America Site Feed

Subscribe to the Passionate America Feed
Add to My AOL
Passionate America Feed
Subscribe in Bloglines
Add to Google
Subscribe to Passionate America

I'm a
Passionate Person
in the
TTLB Ecosystem


Top Blogs

Passionate America Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
The Best Military Sites on the Internet - BestMilitarySites.com


Powered by Blogger



Wide Awakes Radio website
Check Out The Promo
The Passionate America Show LIVE every Saturday Night 10pm to 1am CST The Passionate America Show Website!

Main | Contact | About
feedburner audioPA Podcasts


Wild Bill Needs Help


Blogging Man 2007


Okie Blogger Round-up 2006
Blog Oklahoma < ? Blog Oklahoma * >

Join the 101st Fighting Keyboardists!


Free Cell Phones

Friday, August 06, 2004

Money isn't Everything

Wild Bill

Member of CASH (Corporate Aristocrats for Social Hierarchy)

Recently, a friend made a statement to me. He said, “Bill, I know you want to be rich someday, but money isn’t everything.” The smirk on his face gave the impression that he believed he had just solved an age-old mystery and that this regurgitated poor people’s rallying cry would shock me into giving up on my dream of financial independence and join him in the ranks of the uninspired. I said, “Your right, I’ll let your employer know that you will no longer need to get paid for the work you do.” The expression on his face changed from smug to angst. He said, “No what I mean is money can’t buy happiness.” I asked, “If you had a million dollars what would you do with it?” My apathetic friend pondered for a minute before redirecting my question, “I don’t need a million dollars to be happy.” Again, I asked, “What would you do if you had a million dollars?”

After a long pause, I decided to try a different approach and asked, “Do you think rich people are happy?” His faint hesitant smile prepared me for the predictable response he then delivered to my question. “I’m sure some are happy, but not all.” He said. “Well then you are correct, money can’t buy happiness, if it could then all rich people would be happy.” I said. His entire expression changed, and the gleam in his eye radiated his newly found confidence. He said again, “I just want to be happy.” I asked him, “What makes you happy?” The corners of his mouth drew up until I was standing face to face with what can only be described as the Joker from Batman. He cheerfully said, “Helping my mom, working on my car, spending time with my friends, and helping people in need, that’s what makes me happy!” Yes, I am finally getting through to him I thought and then presented my final question.

I asked, “Think of how much one million dollars could help your mom, you could buy the parts to finish fixing your car, you could go on the vacation of a lifetime and bring your friends along, and think of all the people that you could help if you had more money, can you see how money can be used to in good ways and that it can also increase your happiness and the happiness of others?” My friend said, “Yeah, I could do all of those things, but I don’t need money to be happy.” I said, “Well, that’s great, that just means there will be more money for people like me that understand that an abundance of money can be a blessing if used in a good way. I believe you are being selfish by limiting yourself to a life of scarcity. This scarcity helps no one, not even you.” He interrupted me and said, “If I’m supposed to have money someday then I will. I’m happy with my life the way it is.”

After that narrow-minded self-centered statement, I decided it was time for me to leave and that what seemed like happiness to my friend—in a narcissistic sort of way—was his apathy toward financial freedom. The majority of poor people have this same apathy, they do not really want to help anyone but themselves, they pretend there is joy in fellowship of the underinspired. They like my friend make excuses for their failures and find solace in indemnifying anyone that breaks the bounds of poverty. Instead of giving a hand to help themselves and the people they supposedly love, they expect a handout.

As I walked to the door my friend said, “See you later Bill, sorry that some people are not all about money, like you.” I turned around and said, “Sure you got me, I’m just all about money, Oh one more thing, if money isn’t everything, then why do you buy a lottery ticket every week?”




Passionate America Main Page